Now, being a parent of a teenager, it is very important to know about the health problems that teenagers face and some of them may even be serious so it’s better to know how to deal with them first off.
Also, I want everyone to know that I am not a therapist or a doctor of any kind.
For professional help, please see a doctor.
The top 3 teenager health problems that have been found are:-
- SUBSTANCE ABUSE.
This is known as a very common problem among teenagers and what basically happens in this is that the teenager has an intense craving for the substance to which they are consuming and are addicted to.
There are repetitive and powerful adverse consequences when a person starts consuming substances.People who regularly digest them damage their relationships, do not perform activities properly and may cause damages to their environment.
- The three most common forms of substance abuse are heroin abuse and dependence, alcohol abuse and dependence and cocaine abuse and dependence.
- For many people, alcohol abuse gets them dependent on it and in many cases they start feeling like they cannot survive without it. This leads to them wanting to drink greater amounts of it to feel its effects.
- Excessive drinking can seriously damage the child’s health and even develop disorders.
When a person is dependent on heroin, it paralyzes breathing, causes the respiratory centers in the brain to slow down and has the potential to cause death.
- Cocaine also poses serious effects on a person’s health and it has dangerous effects on physical well-being and psychological functioning.
- This can be prevented by educating children about the harmful effects of these substances or by locking alcohol up so that they don’t easily have access to it.
- Even if you suspect something might be going wrong, start investigating and know your teen’s friends very well. As a parent, you don’t ever want your child to be in bad company.
- EATING DISORDERS.
- Another group of disorders which is known to affect young people in a great way is known as eating disorders.
These include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating.
- In anorexia nervosa, the person views themselves as an overweight individual and what they mainly do is that they refuse to have any food, they may even exercise in an uncontrollable manner and may lose huge amounts of weight in the process.
- The anorexics may also have unexpected habits such as making excuses to not eat in front of other people and may even starve themselves to death.
- In bulimia nervosa, the individual eats a lot of food and then basically purges their body of food by using medicines or by vomiting.
The person does not like that they eat so much and feels relaxed after he/she purges.
- In binge eating, the person has many episodes of out-of-control eating.
A person affected with this disorder may find themselves eating when they don’t really feel hungry and may even hate it after they are done with an episode.
- If you are one of those parents who have a teen who suffers from these disorders, experts say that it would be best if you educate your children about food intake and have balance in the calories that you serve.
- Eating together will help your teen make better choices about food and your love and support can go a long way in this situation.
- When a child suffers from depression, it can be clearly seen when they don’t participate in daily activities like they used to and they may also show some hasty behavior.
- The child may also hate himself or herself if they are undergoing depression.
People suffering from depression can channel their attention towards something more cheerful such as setting some goals for themselves.
- Kids who are active have a better attitude towards life and this is why exercising is recommended.
- Depression has effects on the brain and the causes of depression may be stress, misery and it may even be caused by substance abuse.
- A child remains sad during this problem and this can have bad effects on their health and thus, should be dealt with immediately.
- A positive and encouraging environment can play a big role in avoiding depression.