- Many of us are junk food fanatics and it isn’t hard to understand why.
It just tastes so delicious… way better than a salad? A burger or pizza look so tempting in the pictures and they surely do taste better, right? Many of you will say yes willingly.
- We, humans, are creatures who seek comfort and perceive the taste of different foods in a variety of ways. We often turn to junk food for comfort because it makes us feel better and then it may turn into a habit which is harmful to our health.
- Junk food is especially harmful when it is processed or has an additional amount of sugar, fats, carbohydrates etc because they decrease the amount of good cholesterol in our body.
So, what are the top 5 ways junk food affects our health?
- Junk food affects us way more than we think it does and there are many long-term effects as well. The top 5 ways are:-
1) MAKES US EVEN HUNGRIER:-
- When we consume a great deal of processed and fried foods, we confuse our brains by sending it mixed signals which can make it difficult for our brain to understand how hungry we are and this may, in turn, result in overeating.
- Research has also found that fast food, in the first place, is designed to make us feel hungrier and this makes the various food chains around the world make tons of profits because we’re constantly back for more!
2) CAUSE CHRONIC ILLNESS:-
- When we eat processed foods, we miss out on many nutrients gained from eating healthy foods that are essential for living healthy such as calcium, potassium, vitamin A, iron etc.
- Food like refined carbohydrates (waffles, breakfast cereal etc) can cause insulin resistance in our bodies which is a common factor for chronic diseases especially type 2 diabetes.
When dealing with insulin resistance, our body’s blood sugar rises.
3) CAN AFFECT MEMORY:-
- Research has also found that junk food could affect memory and increase the risk of dementia because of the rise in cholesterol and blood pressure in the body which disturbs the supply of blood to the brain.
- When we continue eating trans fat to a great extent, they have the potential to damage our neurons which interfere with the ability of the brain to remain healthy.
4) CAUSES DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS:-
- Since junk food is usually fried, it may also cause gastroesophageal reflux disease. This happens because the oil found in junk foods can lead to an increase in the production of acid in our stomach.
- A healthy digestive system exists because of a healthy diet and when we lack an appropriate amount of dietary fiber, it causes constipation.
To stay away from this, we need enough fiber in our diet which cannot be provided by junk foods.
5) CAN CAUSE STRESS:-
- When we consume a lot of fat, it can increase our stress levels and lead to diseases related to the liver, heart etc.
- Also, there are many people who turn to junk food for comfort when they are stressed and this leads to obesity.
- If you are an emotional eater, you know how food plays an important role in the way you cope with stress.
This is quite common and researchers have also linked stress to overeating.
- One way to control emotional eating is by eating only when we truly feel hungry. This is also a good way to control weight.
What can we do to control our urge of eating too much junk food?
- Now that we know the top 5 effects of junk food on our health, some ways we can control the urge to eat too much of it are:-
EXCLUDE FROM YOUR SURROUNDINGS:-
- When you stop yourself from buying junk food, in a way you make yourself see less of it in your surroundings and that can have a greater impact than you think it can.
- Most of us will eat junk food mostly because it is in our surroundings or just because we saw an ad or a picture somewhere.
- So, try your best to exclude junk food from your surroundings and buy as much as healthy food as possible.
- When we have planned meals, we already know what we’re about to eat and that helps us stick to a healthy diet plan. This way, our mind does not think specifically about eating junk food and we don’t have to keep asking ourselves what we should eat.
- Making this a long term activity and integrating it into our lifestyles helps us live a healthier life.
LOVE HEALTHY FOOD:-
- When we think of eating healthy food every day, we think of steamed vegetables and other varieties which are not as tasty as our beloved burger or pizza!
However, this is not necessarily true.
- Healthy food can be as good as junk food or even better!
There are so many recipes you can try which will make the transition from junk to healthy food easier than ever!
Some great recipe books you should definitely try out are:-
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! 😀